Friday, June 1, 2012

Who's Replacing George Lucas at Lucasfilm?




We just heard the other day that George Lucas was talking about retiring again, which has been something of a recurring bit for the Star Wars creator in recent years. But now he might actually be getting the ball rolling on that with the news today that mega-producer Kathleen Kennedy is becoming Co-Chair of Lucasfilm.


A company press release reads: "In an effort to move forward with his retirement plans, George Lucas will work with Kathleen Kennedy to transition into her new role. Lucas will become Co-Chairman of the Board of Lucasfilm and continue as CEO. Micheline Chau will remain as President and COO of Lucasfilm, and continue to focus on the day-to-day operations of the business."


Bantha Poodoo just got real! Says Lucas, "I’ve spent my life building Lucasfilm and as I shift my focus into other directions I wanted to make sure it was in the hands of someone equipped to carry my vision into the future. It was important that my successor not only be someone with great creative passion and proven leadership abilities, but also someone who loves movies. I care deeply about my employees -- it is their creativity and hard work that has made this company what it is today. As the company grows and expands I wanted to be sure the employees of Lucasfilm have a strong captain for the ship. I also care deeply about our fans and it was important to have someone who would carry on the passion and care that I’ve given the films over the years. So for me Kathy was the obvious choice, she is a trusted friend and one of the most respected producers and executives in the industry.”


The seven-time Academy Award-nominated Kennedy co-founded Amblin Entertainment with Steven Spielberg and her husband Frank Marshall. Subsequently she and Marshall formed The Kennedy/Marshall Company, and over the years she's produced films like E.T., Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, The Sixth Sense, Seabiscuit, Cape Fear, Who Framed Roger Rabbit… the list just goes on and on.


As for when Lucas will actually step down, Kennedy says in that same press release that she'll be working with him for a "year or two." So we'll see. But I, for one, can't wait to see some of Lucas' "hobby films," as he recently called the small, indie-type projects he wants to work on in his golden years. Bring it, George!









Source : http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/01/whos-replacing-george-lucas-at-lucasfilm

No comments:

Post a Comment