Friday, June 1, 2012

E3 2012: IGN Nintendo's Most Wanted




We're within striking distance of E3 2012. In just a few days, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will be unleashing a wave of announcements and products to support the remainder of the year, and maintain their momentum into 2013. Though many publishers have been confirming and revealing a variety of games in the past several days (Gears of War, Dead Space, Need for Speed, Castlevania), there are no doubt many secrets tucked away into the depths of next week's press conferences.


For weeks (even months) you've heard plenty from the IGN Nintendo team about Nintendo's fortunes, hopes, dreams and risks. We've spotlighted some of the big Wii U and 3DS games, discussed what we expect and more. But what do we actually want to see? What's interesting to us that isn't related to Nintendo? Here are a few picks for each of us (Rich and Audrey) as we head into the big show.


Rich's Most Wanted





#1 - Zelda. Metroid.



This just feels like a year when we'll get both Zelda and Metroid. Precisely how is more the question in my mind. We've heard Nintendo discuss repeatedly that it has ideas for Zelda on 3DS, ranging from a remake of Majora's Mask to an original game to a sequel to A Link to the Past. We've also seen the Zelda Wii U demo, and while that was denied to be a project in active development, the reception of the footage had to make Nintendo think twice.


On the Metroid front we're looking at a situation where Retro has been rather quiet. Too quiet. Exceptionally quiet. It seems as though it is time for the developer to at least reveal what it's working on, and a Wii U entry of Metroid Prime seems a pretty reasonable assumption. And then, in the spirit of A Link to the Past, it'd be great to see Nintendo look back to the spirit of Super Metroid and deliver a new 2D entry on the 3DS.


It almost seems greedy to want both Metroid and Zelda in one show, but I've got my fingers crossed. I'll be more than happy with just one of these, however.












Moving away from Nintendo, I'm very eager to get my hands on Resident Evil 6. The fourth core entry in Capcom's horror series is one of my favorite games of all time, and the fifth was a strong successor, despite some significant flaws. Based on the demo I saw last April, as well as some truly great trailers, RE 6 seems poised to give me a fascinating mixture of RE 4 and 5, which sounds great to me. I love survival horror. I love high-stakes action. This might give me both.







As enticing as Resident Evil might be, Assassin's Creed III just might be commanding more of my attention. From its great historical setting to way Ubisoft is incrementally yet profoundly evolving the franchise's gameplay, this next installment is proving far more interesting than any of its predecessors. I've been a fan of the AC series since the second game hit store shelves, but I've never anticipated an entry as much as this one. Here's hoping Ubisoft shows us something interesting. A glimpse of the Wii U version wouldn't be bad either.










#4 - Nintendo's Third Party Support



I will always buy Nintendo platforms for Nintendo games. The publisher's prowess at developing some of the best games in the world remains its biggest asset, and remains why I will always have faith in new hardware. However... Nintendo can't publish new titles every month - not significant ones, at any rate. That's just one reason why I want third party support for both the 3DS and Wii U to be significant - more than past generations, at any rate.


Nintendo wants Wii U to appeal to gamers of all types, and it needs the 3DS to continue its upward trajectory. Third party support will be key. I hope I get to see that happen next week - and in the weeks to follow.





#5 - Something New



As excited as I am for what's coming for the Wii U or Resident Evil or anything else, what I'm most eager to see is some new material. So much of this late console cycle is dominated by sequels and existing franchises that I want something fresh. Something that doesn't have a number after it. Something that tries something new. That seems like it will happen when Sony and Microsoft fully move to new consoles, but I'm hoping to see a bit this year as well.







 Audrey's Most Wanted





#1 - Zelda Wii U or 3DS



This one almost goes without saying, but I’m absolutely dying to see what’s next on the docket for my favorite Hylian hero. Whether it’s a glimpse of the 3DS project that’s in the works, a sequel to A Link to the Past (gasp!) or an HD logo for Link’s first Wii U outing - any small bit of information about the next adventure in Hyrule would make the show that much more exciting. Do I expect anything playable? Absolutely not. But a screenshot or official title would more than suffice. And if a new trailer surfaces, I may just kick off my shoes and call it a day (just kidding, Rich!).





#2 - Metroid Dread



It’s been about seven years since Samus fans were first teased with the prospect of Metroid Dread - and we still haven’t let the idea go. I’d be thrilled to pieces if Nintendo finally let this cat out of the bag and announced Dread as a new 2D side-scroller for the 3DS - complete with detailed sprites, gorgeous 3D backgrounds and classic, Super Metroid-style gameplay. Retro Studios is my first choice for development, since the company pretty much took the franchise and made it their own with the Prime series. But if Nintendo’s internal team wants to have another go at the franchise I’d be terribly excited to see that as well… so long as Samus doesn’t start blubbering halfway through the first boss fight.





#3 - Long Overdue Localizations



Fire Emblem has long been one of my favorite video game franchises, and it’s been absolutely painful knowing the latest installment has been out in Japan for more than a month now - with no word on a North American release. E3 is the time for Nintendo to make things right and bring this bad boy overseas. I’m desperate to come up with wicked strategies, engage in some epic battles and watch the latest Fire Emblem tale unfold. I also want that gorgeous blue 3DS with the dragons. Is that too much to ask? Me thinks not. And before the show concludes, there better be localization announcements for Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle and Project X Zone. Hell hath no fury like an Aminka scorned.










#4 - Animal Crossing 3DS



Very little news has surfaced about Animal Crossing 3DS since last year’s show. In fact, the game’s release window got pushed from the end of Nintendo’s last fiscal year (March 2012) to the end of this one (March 2013). I’m sick of waiting and wondering and re-watching the same trailer over and over again - it’s time to show off what this new game is made of. I want to run around this new world, swim in that big ocean that’s been staring me down since the original, and hear all about what being a mayor will entail. I want to see what the new store will look like, what new furniture/clothes/bugs will show up, and what new features and capabilities this game will come packing. I also want to find out what the heck happened to Tortimer (if you’re the Mayor, is he… the President?!). E3 is the time to show off this new game, so I’m hoping Nintendo plays nice and doesn’t keep us Nook fans waiting any longer.







I’ve been anxiously awaiting the true return of the one and only Leon S. Kennedy for a while now - ever since Resident Evil 4 blew my mind wide open with awesomeness. While Resident Evil 5 didn’t live up to my admittedly sky-high expectations (having a hot girl steal my ammo and feed me herbs kind of kills the horror mood), RE6 looks like it may be everything I wanted 5 to be. I can’t wait to get my hands on this game on the show floor and see how Capcom has balanced action and survival horror this time around, and whether co-op is as big of a mistake as it was in RE5. Also, Leon looks in the RE6 trailer. Just saying.












When the show floor opens, I’ll finally have my chance to see what Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is all about. I’ve been salivating over the prospect of grabbing this PS3 title ever since I saw the first trailer - and I absolutely can’t wait to see how it plays. From what I’ve seen, it looks like the geniuses over at Level-5 haven’t skimped on their trademark charm. Ni no Kuni looks like a unique RPG experience with gorgeous animated sequences (care of Studio Ghibli) and a fascinating dual world mechanic that sounds simply amazing. I’ll know soon if the game actually plays as well as it looks - and if it does, it will easily start climbing up my list of most anticipated titles.






Rich is an Executive Editor of IGN.com, the leader of the IGN Nintendo team and watches over all things Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed and WWE. Join him in his ridiculous adventures on Twitter, Tumblr and IGN.




Source : http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/02/e3-2012-ign-nintendos-most-wanted

No comments:

Post a Comment