Monday, June 4, 2012

E3 2012: Making Games in LittleBigPlanet Karting




As the IGNer who reviewed ModNation Racers – and became a Level 30 racer online in the process -- I was depressed to stay home and send He Only Does Everything Colin Moriarty and the Dark Knight of News Andrew Goldfarb to PlayStation's reveal of LittleBigPlanet Karting. But I read Goldfarb's preview, watched the duo's video, and got to play the E3 build.


But when I was finished with my racing, I just needed to talk to another LittleBigPlanet Karting expert about the impressive things this game is doing. So, without his knowledge, I grabbed Goldfarb and made him whip up half of my preview before we left San Francisco for E3.







Greg Miller: Goldie, you were the kart-racing expert I sent in my stead to see LittleBigPlanet Karting. You remember what I said to you when I read your preview for the first time?


Andrew Goldfarb:  Hmm. No. What did you say?


Greg: Amateur. I came over and asked you if it was still a racing game. After reading the preview, I thought it might be some bastardized platformer.


Goldfarb: Ha. I mean it's still very much a racing game; I was just saying it felt like it belonged in the LittleBigPlanet universe.


Greg: Exactly -- and now that I've played it, I get that. Reading your report, I didn't. I was a bit confused, but playing it and seeing how the grapplehook works on a racetrack -- it all makes sense.








It feels familiar and easy. I like it way better than the ModNation interface.




Goldfarb: Are you writing a new preview of it?


Greg: Yes. This is the preview. You're in it. Right now.


Goldfarb:  You just blew my mind.


Greg: Word -- the same way LittleBigPlanet Karting blew mine when I got to try one of the new levels.


Goldfarb:  Was it the same one I played?


Greg: See, I don't know how much you saw of it, but you can still create games in Karting. Just like LBP2. Did they show you this madness?


Goldfarb:  They didn't! How does it work?


Greg: Just like LBP2, which is so bizarre. You can sit there and create any kind of game -- involving a kart -- you want. I played one that was an MotorStorm RC clone with the camera pulled way back and anchored on a top down-ish view with the karts looking like slot cars. Another had this dinosaur spitting fire, and I had to steal her eggs and toss them in a bin for points and time to keep the game going.


It's more than just a racer. Does that make sense?


Goldfarb:  It does, and that's what I liked about it, too. They were telling us about how you can use the exact same level editor as the designers. That's crazy. Did they show you any of the character customization?







Greg: Not really. What did you see?


Goldfarb: You're in the pod, same as LBP2. Switching outfits, Sackboy color, etc. is all done through the Pop-It, and it's completely natural. It feels familiar and easy. I like it way better than the ModNation interface.


Greg: Totally. That is what was weird to play as a fan of ModNation Racers and LBP. I was expecting a re-skinned MNR, but this really is an expansion of the LBP universe. I was expecting to create tracks, but you can create worlds.


Goldfarb: Yup. I think that's why I came away feeling really good about it. It definitely appeals to the kart racer fan in me and battle mode was insanely fun, but the customization stuff is what will keep me coming back to see what people have created.


Greg: Well, good. It's impressive. Your massive preview and excitement was justified. Now, let's just hope it comes out one day and doesn't stall forever like LittleBigPlanet PS Vita.


Goldfarb: If I wanted to find out the release date once it's announced, where can i go to find the latest news on all things LittleBigPlanet?


Greg: IGN.com, of course! Now, get back to packing for E3.


Goldfarb: Will do.









Source : http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/05/e3-2012-making-games-in-littlebigplanet-karting

No comments:

Post a Comment