Monday, May 21, 2012

Frankie Boyle Slates Iron Man at Kapow!




IGN's Kapow! Comic Con adventures continued with a light-hearted Q&A with Frankie Boyle, hosted by Jimmy Carr, in which they chatted all things Hulk, Iron Man and The Walking Dead.

Frankie Boyle is adding to the long line of Scottish comic book writers with his supervillain ('Earth's antibody') for CLiNT magazine, and he's a self-confessed comic book geek. With the help of his mate Jimmy Carr, Boyle talked us through his influences, what he loves about comic books and why he Iron Man.

"When I was about nine years old I got into this comic book called about this blonde kid who, like everyone in comics, had two roles - he was a footballer and he was a champion sheepdog trialist as a sideline," says Boyle. "The stories were all f*cking horrible - 'Hitler Lives' or 'Limp-Along Leslie'. There was also a comic I read called about a formula one driver who was also a stunt driver, and who wanted to die in each issue 'cause he was disfigured so he would sabotage the races."

Boyle went on to say that ‘80s British comics appealed to him because they were "still slightly outside the mainstream eye - stuff that you would never get now in the TV or movie versions."

Although Frankie didn't get into American comics until his 20s, he developed a passion for Vertigo titles such as , and (a particular favourite of his) from fellow Scotsman Grant Morrison, whom he clearly admires. "I always wanted to do comics, I f*cking love comics. You'd have to write a bad comic for me not to read it. In fact, even if it was sh*t I'd probably still read it."

When asked who his favourite comic book characters are Boyle launched into a story of his childhood in Glasgow: "I once dressed up as The Hulk as a kid, but I used water based paints to make myself green so kept applying layer on layer on layer - I ended up looking like a green scab." On the flipside, he was very passionate about the character he most dislikes in the comic book world: "Iron Man is basically a f*cking arms dealer, he blows people up...I'd fly Iron Man right into the f*cking sun!"

As for what he's currently into he tells us "I'm reading and .I read but it's so f*cking bleak I almost gave up." Clearly passionate about this subject Boyle said that he really believes that "there are so many great comics out there - this could be coming into the best time for comics...we're now at the point where everyone knows all the characters and archetypes, and can put their own twist on it." Let the golden age begin!



Source : http://www.ign.com

No comments:

Post a Comment