Friday, May 18, 2012

Supernatural: Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki Look Towards Season 8




Just a day before Friday’s Supernatural season finale, I had the chance to speak to both of the show’s stars, Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles about what to expect as Season 7 wraps up and the series gets ready for Season 8 in the fall.


Season 8 will find Supernatural going through some big changes, including a move from Friday nights to Wednesdays -where it will be paired with the new series Arrow. There will also be a new showrunner, Jeremy Carver, who previously wrote for the series before departing to launch Being Human a couple of years ago.


supernatural-20120517093528971


About an hour and a half after I spoke to Padalecki and Ackles, I attended a press conference with CW’s president, Mark Pedowitz. While anything can happen in TV, Pedowitz’s remark about Supernatural – “I’m not looking at Season 8 as the final year in any way, shape or form” – makes it clear The CW certainly has no specific intention right now of wrapping up the series next season. You’ll see what Padalecki and Ackles told me about their thoughts on going beyond Season 8 below.





IGN TV: So, you’ve got this Dick Roman guy to deal with in the finale...


Jared Padalecki: Yeah, yeah. He’s an ass***e!


IGN: [Laughs] Yes, he is! So what can you tell us about the finale?


Padalecki: True to Supernatural form, we don’t avoid the issue or press it on ad infinitum. We do an episode where we confront him. So you will see the boys, with some help, confronting Dick Roman tomorrow, and we’ll see how it turns out -- some good, some bad. It can’t just be, good guys win, drive away. It never is in Supernatural. We’re certainly going to leave you hanging a little bit. But it’s a very exciting cliffhanger for Season 8.


But we didn’t know. We had a good inkling that we were gonna go to Season 8, so we left it in a sense -- it would be very bad for the show to end tomorrow. So we set it out with a good launch pad for Season 8. Once again, true to Supernatural form, we’re not just gonna, like, “Oh, what’s going on now?” One of the brothers is left in a pretty sticky situation. So I hope that Season 8 can start where Season 7 left off. We had a few opportunities in Supernatural where we could start where we left off. And sometimes, I think there were a few seasons were like, Sam’s been hunting with the family, or Dean’s been alive for however long. So I’d like to pick up where we left off. And I’d like to see the brothers do their own thing for a little bit. I love the brothers together -- I think it’s a great dynamic, and I’m great friends with Jensen. I know how we act, and it’s easy to work together. But I love when the characters get to go out on their own and do their own thing.


IGN: You got Bobby back, but again, true to the show, there was a price. He’s not doing so hot.


Padalecki: Yeah, he’s not doing so well. But we don’t want Bobby’s character to be cheapened, either by killing him and bringing him back, killing him and bringing him back, killing him and bringing him back - nor by letting his character literally deteriorate into this ghost he is. So we also have some stuff to deal with tomorrow.


supernatural-20120517093529605


IGN: Your character went through a lot of mental angst for a couple of years on the show.


Padalecki: Yeah, they’re killin’ me!


IGN: Are you happy to be in a better place with him, or is it fun to play the screwed up version of Sam?


Padalecki: Both, I guess! The new dad in me is happy to not have the angst-y character, because it has to go with you a little bit. When you’re 12 or 14 hours a day of playing this messed up character, you go home and have a glass of wine to get it out of you. So the new father in me is happy that Sam’s a little more balanced right now. But Sam will always have a couple screws loose. He’s had too much going on in his life to just be a perfectly balanced human being. So he’ll always be a little angst-y.


IGN: I love Mark Pellegrino’s Lucifer. Do you think the writers will continue to figure out some ways to use him?


Padalecki: Yeah, he’s awesome. I hope so, because I like him a lot -- also, as a person. And he’s a great character. He brings a great dynamic to the show. So I hope we get a chance to bring him back. I learned a long time ago to try and not figure out what the writers are going to do because I’m always wrong. So I’m not gonna throw a wild guess out there, but I hope he does come back.


IGN: When are you guys thinking this show might hit an ending? Do you think Season 8 might be the final one?


Padalecki: I haven’t heard any inkling of it. There’s no news that this is the last year. We feel like Supernatural can go as long as our fans are excited. We have a new showrunner now too, and Jeremy is a fantastic writer, a great mind. I can’t wait to see where he takes the show. And I’m imagining if he just came on, he probably has more than 23 episodes in his head. So hopefully they’ll keep us around. I mean, we’re having a great time doing it. Eight years of my adult life have been spent in Vancouver as Sam Winchester, so why not make it nine or ten?






Continue to Page 2 to see what Jensen Ackles had to say about the end of Supernatural: Season 7 and his thoughts on Season 8.




Source : http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/18/supernatural-jensen-ackles-and-jared-padalecki-look-towards-season-8

No comments:

Post a Comment