Sunday, July 8, 2012

True Blood: "Let's Boot and Rally" Review




Warning: Full spoilers for the episode follow...


I'm glad we actually got to see Russell at the end of "Let's Boot and Rally," as I was half-expecting - what with the arbitrary time limit placed on Eric and Bill's hunt - that they'd come up empty handed and the episode would end with their stake-vests flashing red. That being said though - what did happen at the end? I mean, I guess I know. Alcide wolfed out. But it was shot so weird. He just kind of bent down behind Sookie, who was blocking the whole shot, and then we heard a wolf growl. Kind of awkward. Plus, hasn't it been established that wolves are no match for vamps unless they're in a pack?


Anyway, this episode was still a bit better than the previous four and although it's no longer fun to watch the characters on True Blood meta-out and call attention to how insane their lives are, Sookie was more fun to watch back in the saddle with Bill and Eric. It's funny. They make her more interesting, but she makes them less interesting. Strange dynamic. Also, she was extra pissy and still partially drunk, so her sass made it feel like a "Scooby Gang" reunion, True Blood-style. Also, given that we've all known for a while how much Alcide's been in love with Sookie, it was amusing to see Bill and Eric show up right as she vomited on his shoes.




Kiss me deadly...



I really liked the Jessica/Tara scene at Fangtasia. It seems as though they didn't decide to soften Pam as Tara's maker, but instead had Tara bond with another baby vamp. Jessica's "It gets better" speech was a well-intended, in not obvious, allegory and I liked that the two of them were bonding over the fact that being immortal isn't a completely terrible concept. It helped distract me from the fact that Tara was bartending at a vampire nightclub a mere two days after being turned. Too bad the two of them had to have that silly super-speed bathroom brawl at the end. And too bad for Hoyt that the latest in Fangbanger fashion is dressing like the drummer from Spandau Ballet. I noticed too that Jessica had to tease up her hair, Lita Ford-style, to go out on the prowl. It reminded me of how Buffy was able to spot a vampire, in the pilot episode of that series, based on the a guy's outdated clothes.


So things were better here, even though we still had to spend an extended amount of time with Terry and Patrick. Who now seem to be victims of a curse that invokes a vengeful Ifrit (yes, I googled it like the soldier dude did). And even though I don't care about Terry, or this side story, at all we at least got to see a big smoke demon frizzle-fry someone to death. And who doubts a curse on True Blood? How can Patrick think that a giant fire demon is fake when vampires exist out in the open? He lives in a world where unholy monsters walk freely among humans.


I suppose my least favorite part of "Let's Boot and Rally" was Jason...once again hating vampires! Oh, and seeing things that aren't there. Also "once again." But instead of bullet holes in between people's eyes, it's fang marks on their necks. It's as if he's only got two or three stories and he just keeps cycling through them. On the flip side of that, things took a more dramatic turn with Sam and Luna; the two of them getting gunned down in front of her house. Yes, Sam is fine, but I'm not curious to see if the show's getting rid of Luna. Someone in the comments last week pointed out that these "shifter murders" were also a part of the Charlaine Harris books, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a redneck posse committing them. So it's been changed, and for the better, I think. A major theme of this series since the beginning has been prejudice and it sort of vanished for a while. I'm curious to see what has humans filming themselves killing shifters and not vamps. Is it just less dangerous?


Oh, and while the Lafayette/Brujo stuff is a waste, I wasn't expecting to see Alfre Woodard back as Ruby. Or Kevin Alejandro back as Jesus' head. It's still not good, mind you. But sometimes, on True Blood, all I'm looking for is a few "WTF?" moments to push me through an episode







Matt Fowler is a writer for IGN. Follow him on Twitter at @TheMattFowler and IGN.



Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment